Sunday, May 6, 2007

Fashion Trend, and We Use the Term Loosely

I noticed it at Ebertfest 7, the first year I attended the Overlooked Festival, but I was a shy interloper and kept mum. More so the next year, but it still hardly ran rampant. But this year, this broad in stacked wedges must speak:

What o what is with the mandals that many festival heavies don? I'm not going to name any names here, but I'd be remiss if I didn't call to the carpet the trend itself. No matter how formal the rest of the garb (and in some cases we're talking three-piece suits) a sporty pair of man-sandals poked out below many fellows' pantcuffs, often paired with a pair of socks (compounding the faux-pas levels). In one case, the socks were purple-striped. Festive, yes, but perhaps ill-advisable.

As a card-carrying member of the school of ladies and drag queens who can pound 60 city blocks in three-inch heels, I register absolutely no sympathy for the men who complain of formal shoes' discomfort. A medical condition is, of course, a perfectly good explanation for such foot-pas — but how many men can produce a doctor's note to that effect?

Yes, festival-going is hard work, but hardly upon the tootsies. My advice: lace'm up, boys!

No comments: